Monday, January 24, 2011

My CC is keeping me on budget


Ever since I moved out of my parents' house, money has been my biggest concern. I needed to be sure I was covering all my bills, have some left over to save for a rainy day, and then still even more for retirement. Bills were initially easy, as was saving. It took me until about year out before I really started with any retirement savings.

Then I got a little too ambitious. I decided to live by myself. This quickly cut down my ability to save. Once I returned to school, there were a few additional costs, but class and homework got in the way of part time work. This meant serious budgets!!! I need to reduce spending that does not fall under utilities, rent, gas, and food. After a unexpected trip to the garage, leaving me with a $139 bill, I was bummed that I wouldn't be able to pick up some items from Sephora I had meaning to get, or a new pair of winter pants. Boooo.

Just to be sure that I was up to budget for January, I went to check on my credit card. That is when I noticed I haven't cashed in my points for about a year. I use my credit cards for everything. All those charges allow for me to gain points, and I always use them to order $25, $50 or $100 gift cards. It allows for me to treat myself guilt free. :)

This time I am going with Amazon, J-Crew, and Sephora. This should allow me for a combination of things I need and want to get me through the next semester. Honestly, if I could charge my rent check I would be this much closer to a Banana Republic guilt-free splurge.

No comments:

Post a Comment