Friday, August 14, 2009

Hey from AK

Today is the last full day before I head onto the cruise for my two weeks in Alaska. The trip has been phenomenal! I have learned more fun facts that I can remember. As you know, Alaska is the largest state. It is also the state that is the furthest North, West, AND East. How you may ask? Well, two of the islands cross the latitude line whose name I can't remember that separates East and West. Pretty awesome.

Some more facts about Alaska itself:

It is the same size as 69 Massachusetts and 471 Rhode Islands. You would need 2.3 Texases. This leads me to the big nudge that Alaskans like to give Texans: "You know we could cut Alaska in half and then Texas would be the third largest state". Oh you know you smile too when you read this.

The northern most part of Alaska has 3 straight months of sun and 3 straight months of darkness. Therefore, you need to be careful who you sleep with in the winter time, as a one-night stand can equal a 3 month commitment!

Because there is so much sun light in Alaska, women of the night could not use red lights to signal if they were available or not. So being the resourceful women that they were, they would put pots of red geraniums on their porches and remove them when they had a guest. So no self-respecting native Alaskan woman will have those flowers in their gardens.

That is all for now. I am on borrowed internet so I can't write for much longer. Maybe I can get another post when I am out to sea!

1 comment: