Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Awkward.

Glamour published their last magazine with a very small photo of a nude woman who is definitely not your average model...


I guess a lot of women noticed the small picture because letters started to pour into the office exclaiming how refreshing it was to see a regular woman in the magazine. Those letters inspired on of the editors to write this blog post. Like any big time blog there are of course tons of comments. Possibly more comments than I have posts (which equals A TON of comments). Well they are all a handful of woman who end up bickering back and forth about whether this size 12 (plus size model) woman is OBESE or not.

OBESE?????

She has a little tummy pudge. But otherwise she is about as perfect as the next woman. And the pudge is normal and nothing to run away from...for crying out loud people.

These woman end up having a huge argument - via posting - about if she is really as healthy as she claims. I got hook into reading their comments because I would love to see these people in real life, they sound like they belong on Jerry Springer. Particularly I would like to meet the woman and her husband that claim they would loose - yes that is how she wrote it - their lunch after looking at the woman's stomach and thunder thighs. I don't see the thunder either.

The conversation, if you can call it that, was awkward. If I were to be honest with myself, I would have to agree that I do very much like looking at these "perfect" women in the magazines. If the women looked more like me I think I would develop serious image issues. Why? Because I would start wondering why I couldn't be a model. I know why I am not one now. I am not perfect, I have a disproportioned quirky body that I am extremely comfortable in.

Totally not looking to open the what is healthy/what is obese/what is beautiful debate. Merely saying that any time a magazine tries to do something slightly different people blow it up.

1 comment: