Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Simply Breathtaking

**SPOILER ALERT** (kind of)

The only plans I made going into my Christmas vacation home was to go out to Charlie O's for my birthday and see Black Swan with my sister. The first was easily accomplished. Black Swan took some extra work as the snow kept us home-bound for a bit, and then there was Miki. How do you leave a cutie like that home alone?!?!

Well, we finally felt ready to head out for an afternoon showing. Natalie Portman's character, Nina, is emotionally complex. We are quick to see her need for perfection. Nina focuses on her form and movement, leaving the emotion behind the ballet as an afterthought. It is this exact issue that leaves the director hesitant to cast her as the lead in Swan Lake. His version has the lead woman play both white and black swan (I assume this is different from the traditional piece - let's check wikipedia - nope this has been the case since the 1800s), and from a technical perspective knows Nina is the best for the role, but is unsure if she can bring the passion for the seduction needed for the Black Swan.

Obviously she gets the part. If she didn't the movie would just end. For the sake of those who have not seen the film yet, I will skip over all of the crazy things that happen up until the end (but don't worry I am still not revealing anything you don't already know). Throughout the movie, Nina is being asked to prove that she is sexual enough for the part of the Black Swan. I have to admit, I agreed with the douchey ballet director, Nina just didn't have it in her. Her body emaciated body - from what I have read, is pretty accurate for a dancer - did not give off anything close to sexy. The movements did not draw me in.

But then it happens. The final sequence includes a very powerful Black Swan performance. Her movements have so much emotion behind them, that I began to really lose myself in the energy.

Just look at this frame. There is serious power and control being forced through the movement. Once the ballet began my heart started to race. I could feel my breathing slow down. Then after the final moment was over and there is that beat before the credits roll, I slowly took myself out of the reality that was created for me. I notice I have not breathed in and force a breath.

Over the last few years, I have noticed that I can get very invested in movies, tv and literature. Occasionally a piece moves me to the point of breathlessness. Coming out of theaters after this happens is always exhilarating and I can't wait to feel the same way again - kind of junkie behavior. I try not to go into movies expecting this, as to avoid disappointment. Seeing the previews for this movie made me think I would enjoy it, I never thought I would get so enveloped in the visuals, as it is shot completely with a hand-held camera and I tend to dislike that kind of jerky framework. Here it completely complimented the emotions Nina was experiencing, drawing me further and further into the plot.

In the end, go see this movie! I won't promise you will forget to breath, but I can't imagine you will come out disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment