Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bacon Risotto

If we are friends in real life, or were at some point and are still friends on facebook, you may recall that I recently posted the picture above. I decided I wanted to go beyond my comfort zone and cook things that real people would want to eat. (I have learned that eating a can of baked beans for dinner is a bit odd)

Bacon Risotto sounded like a good place to start. I already knew how to make risotto the lazy way (with Uncle Ben's Rice instead of Arborio), but never added anything extras - just simple risotto. So I went online and realized that most people just throw in the extras at the end, well I can do that too, gosh darn it! Out of fear that the bacon flavor wouldn't be strong enough, I opted to incorporate the grease. Additionally, to make veggie health people happy I added in some fresh tomatoes too!

I wanted to share the recipe with the world, I don't really know if the measurements are absolutely correct, since I don't measure much (accept the rice) so, I would suggest you use this as guidelines. When it comes to the wine, feel free to have fun with it - I honestly probably use at least 1/3 of a cup if not more.

Bacon Riscotto

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound bacon, diced (totally used breakfast bacon chopped up)
  • 5 cups of chicken stock (you may use more or less - just be mindful)
  • 3/4 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 4 tablespoons butter (may use more like 6)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
  • White wine - preerably Riesling
  • S&P
  • 2 mid-sized tomatoes (fresh)
Directions
  1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet (skillet should have high sides) over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon and reserve some grease (yum)
  2. Bring chicken stock to boil in a saucepan over high heat; reduce heat to low to keep the stock hot
  3. Heat 2-4 tablespoons of butter in the same bacon pan over medium -high heat. I recommend leaving some grease in the pan for flavor.
  4. Add onion and garlic; cook and stirl until the onion begins to turn clear, about 2 minutes
  5. Pour in the rice and stir until the rice is coated in butter and the rice starts to toast
  6. Bring on the wine! Splash some into the pan, listen for the sizzle. Make sure to cover the rice thoroughly. Once the wine reduces, reduce the heat.
  7. Start stirring in the chicken stock (I ladle it in to help keep the mess under control) - I would advise putting in 1/4 - 1/3 of the broth in at a time. As the broth gets absorbed, add more until tender, yet slightly firm. Roughly 15-20 minutes.
  8. Remove the risotto from the heat and add the remaining butter, Parmesan cheese, and the bacon.
  9. Chop up tomatoes (best to squeeze out the seeds first) and throw them into the mix too.
  10. Season with salt and pepper.
  11. Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment