Friday, October 8, 2010

Never underestimate the Tortoise

Today is the Friday before Columbus Day weekend. Did I expect any extra traffic on my drive home from work today? Heck no. Was I concerned that my car barely had any gas left when I left the parking garage? Nope. Should I have been? Pretty much.

The traffic was bad. In fact, it might have been some of the worst I have ever traveled in since I started commuting 10 months ago. Am I exaggerating? Don't think so. Here's why:

Things were moving fairly well until I had to turn onto North Harvard. There was nothing to clue me into the monster grid lock I was about to drive into. But I got about halfway to the next light and had to come to a complete stop. This never happens. I am usually pretty good until I get onto the bridge. At first, I thought no big deal, we will move. Oh man, how wrong was I. Below is a map of the area. From where North Harvard hits Western to where it crosses Memorial is .6 of a mile.

Do you know what went faster than me? For .6 miles -- which is just over a mile remember.

Nope, not a bike.

OR a runner

Or a vespa

Or a something else you think of when you think fast.

I was beaten by a DACHSHUND. The only thing worse would have been a chihuahua.


I saw the little guy just as I went through the intersection. He was frolicking in some grass. I thought to myself - cuuuuuuuute. Seeing him made me think that it was a good sign for a great weekend. Then I hit traffic and started to stress about the lack of gas in my car. That stress only rose when, still only about halfway over the bridge, I see this same dog pass by me on the sidewalk. Oye.

Don't worry friends, I managed to cut around the worst of the traffic and coasted into the gas station on fumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment