Friday, October 29, 2010

Sad way to wake up

My midterm was last night. I have been somewhat dreading this particular exam for about a week. This dread upped dramatically after I attended the review session, that lasted 3 hours, on a Sunday morning. The one silver lining about it, was that I knew after it was over, I would head home and watch the season finale of Project Runway. I wanted to see Mondo win. During NY fashion week, I had seen some images of the runway shows via @tomandlorenzo who the authors of one of my favorite blogs. From what I saw, I was banking on the win going to the little guy, and this was when there was still 10 contestants competing on the show.

As soon as I got home, I settled down on the couch and pulled up the tapping on the DVR. As the show progressed, I began checking twitter, and all of a sudden my stomach dropped. The worst feeling came over me, and that was the idea that Gretchen pulled off the win. After the runway shows, I just had to fast forward to the end, because I just couldn't believe it, and didn't want to hear any of the judging blather. I was speechless. The judges were clearly on crack. They gave the win to Gretchen's ugly unfashionable dresses. Many out there in the internets have stated that she belongs as a designer for Urban Outfitters. Maybe I have just grown up in my taste, or maybe U.O. has changed its direction, but I used to shop often at those stores, and never once would I have considered these garments.

I think Jessica Simpson made the best point. If you were in a department store and there was a rack full of Gretchen's garments, you would walk right by, but if there was another rack full of Mondo's you would totally stop, pause, and consider. The line was described by the judges as too youthful. I was unaware that now that I am a grown woman, I should hate bright prints, fun fabric pairings, and general bounce. It was a real downer for me to climb into bed after I processed what I just witnessed. I had opted to stay up, not catch up on sleep, just to see what I would consider extremely boring clothes win a design competition.

When I woke up this morning, I was convinced it was all a dream, I didn't actually see the show and instead had some weird economics inspired nightmare. Nope. Sadly Gretchen still has the win. All I can say, is that 6 months from now, I will still remember the polka dot dress that finished Mondo's show which Nina and Michael hated for God knows what reason. My only complaint about the garment is that I would have a hard time adjusting my long gait to wear it. But I would totally get over that little problem, as the thing is absolutely gorgeous.

In the background I also loved the square dress. I think playing with dress shapes like that is brilliant and totally "in"

I think the other favorite, for me, was the plaid dress with bubblish skirt. This is something I would 100% kill to own and totally find any and every excuse to wear.

Yes, the head pieces were a little silly, but hey, even they were more memorable than anything Gretchen produced. The judges loved the jewelry she had FORGED but I thought it was heavy looking, awkward, and too big. I can say that I do remember those weird pendant things, but couldn't even tell about a single outfit they were paired with.

I send out my love of Mondo with this post, and hope to find his website online soon. For the last week or so, I have been googling him, but cannot seem to find his site. I would buy his stuff, I would even consider giving up booze and shoes for 6 months to save up for it. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment