Monday, December 27, 2010

Jerry Springer minus Jerry


Due to the intense amount of snow that has been dumped onto RI, my sister, our puppy and I have opted to bunker down in the living room. We each have things to keep us occupied; studying for the GREs, chewing on a bone, and reading magazines, but we all like having some background noise. Sadly, the only thing on this morning was a Bad Girls Club marathon.

Even after hours and hours of having it play in the background, I couldn't tell you the point of the show. There are seven crazy girls who were placed in a house and each is proud to be a vile human being. Stealing, fighting, shouting, bullying, and sleeping around are all activities these individuals love to do and talk about. I assume if you have lost all sense of self-worth and enjoy harming yourself and others, you get to be a "bad girl".

Occasionally one character will mention that another girl isn't "taking advantage of being here". She will continue to claim that she is at the house "to get better". I find this part to be the most confusing aspect as there are no teaching moments, no intervention, no counseling whatsoever. How these train-wrecks are getting anything more than 15 minutes of fame - which really should be downgraded to about 1 minute as I after a day of watching I couldn't tell you any names - is beyond me.

Early on in the season, I noticed that the girls never seemed to be wearing shoes when they fight. It brought me back to the Jerry Springer Show. In one instance, one girl got out of the front see of a car (barefoot) and pulled at the girl in the back until she was forced out to fight at a gas station. The girl from the back also toppled out shoeless, which lead me to believe that this production crew knows this females are the type who have nothing above stabbing one another with a stiletto.

My theory was confirmed when a fight broke out on the street where five ganged up on one and she pulled her shoe off to use as a weapon. She ended up getting beat down to the ground and subsequently kicked, which was horrifying to watch. In the end, this show is really about watching unhinged women attack each other verbally and physically over and over again. While I admit to having the marathon play in our house, I would beg Oxygen to get rid of the series, it is just an awful awful premise.

No comments:

Post a Comment