Saturday, September 4, 2010

Focus please


I just filled out an application for a volunteer position. One of the questions asked for my strengths and weaknesses. Strengths include punctuality and the ability to multitask, weaknesses, alphabetizing.

A few hours later, I thought about how multitasking is considered such a strength and realized that I would give anything to feel ok about doing just one thing at a time. I can no longer bear to only complete one goal at a time. If I am reading, I am also sitting outside to get fresh air and listen to music. If I am watching tv, I try and do some stretches or simple exercises because I can never find time to go to the gym. When I was trying to run, before giving in to my knees, I preferred to do so with my neighbor so we could get in some chat time. My dishes are washed while my delicate items are soaking in the sink. Right now, I am blogging, while watching tv, and cooking dinner.

I did see an article recently providing a series of tips on how adults can lengthen their attention spans and reinstate their focus. While reading that article, I also read a jezebel post, and continued to speak to families on the phone -- at the end the author reassures the reader that if you were able to complete the article start to finish without looking away, you had nothing to worry about. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think I even made it through the first paragraph. I wish I saved the article, it would be helpful to use a reference.

These next few weeks I am going to try and keep more focused on tasks. See if I can just do one thing at a time... Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment