Tuesday, July 27, 2010

20 for a $1

After this weekend, I realize I might need to cut back my references to how poor I am. These laments stem from a year ago when I moved into my own apartment when I thought I would be taking a new job that pays higher. I could make my rent payments, but it was a bit of a squeeze and had to stop some of my automatic savings transfers. Little did I know that not only did I not get a higher paying job, but ended up elsewhere which meant taking a pretty major pay-cut. EEEeeeeep!

I do work a part-time job that is flexible, enjoyable, and definitely helps with the bills. Thus, I am still in the black, even if it is by a hair. I have adjusted my personal budget and quit saving money and things have evened out. No biggie.

Anyway, my dad let me know on the car ride home from the bar that he came up with a new way for me to earn some extra cash. Cash in my mom's diet coke cans. This is a serious suggestion, and what is sadder, is that I am seriously considering it. My parents cannot cash them in as RI doesn't do the deposit, but MA does. I am aware that it is illegal to take your cans from a non-deposit state to a deposit state, but I think I might chance it every so often.

I have shared this story with a few friends, and they have responded how they have thought about cashing in their own cans, but it seems more effort than it is worth. Normally I would agree. But my mother is my secret weapon. She pretty much only drinks Diet Coke from a can and consumes a good amount of it. If I picked up cans when I visited once a month, I could probably cover the gas money I needed for the trip.

In the end, yes, I am considering going for it. Who couldn't use a few extra bucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment