Friday, December 4, 2009

Better than Techicolor


Last weekend I went out with my senior year roommates to see Arsenic and Old Lace at the Brattle Theater in Harvard Square. The movie was made in 1944 and stars Cary Grant. I had never seen this movie before, but this experience makes me want to rent some films from this time period. The conversation was not only witty but fast paced, it reminded me of the Gilmore Girls in terms of the tempo.

If you haven't had the pleasure of viewing the film, the characters are quirky and the plot is ridiculous but that is why it is so charming. The film is 118 minutes and only covers a few hours of a day. Not only is such a short time period covered, but close 80% of the film is set in one room. After watching the film I was amazed on the simplicity of the film and yet how much more enjoyable it was than many of the films that have been made recently. There aer no special effects or big loopholes in the story line.

Yes, the story revolves around two old women who mercy kill (for lack of a better term) gentlemen that come to their house looking to rent rooms - which is a little hard to believe. Of course, their nephew discovers when he goes to tell them he secretly got married and is on his way to his honeymoon. While waiting in the house, he happened to notice a body was stuffed in the window seat. That body was their most recent kill - number 13.

Once this discovery is made, hilarity ensues. If you do go see the film after reading this, please be excited to know that Peter Lorre does play the part of Dr. Einstein. He is his usual creepy yet adorable self.

The Brattle shows classic movies regularly and for a very reasonable price. I enjoy that there is an establishment that allows us to experience these films in the theater as a big screen can really enhance a film.

If I had happened upon this film on my tv at home, I doubt I would have watched the whole thing, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't have paid very close attention. So I am glad my friend thought we should go out and see it. The last movie I saw at the Brattle was Casablanca. If you haven't seen that in the theaters, you really should. It was so much better in the theater than in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment