Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Went to get $6 of stuff came out with about $45


I can purchase new $80 shoes if they have a high enough heel or a $40+ dollar hot pink dress if it has a tutu skirt without even thinking twice. But can I purchase a new hair brush for $3 after breaking mine? No, not on your life. For some reason spending those three dollars has been the hardest thing for me to do for over the last 3 years. Instead, I have opted to get annoyed and frustrated every day while brushing my hair with a broke brush.

After the rope on my shower puff snapped, I realized if I am going to drop a $3 on a new puff, I might as well get that brush. So with that said, today I took a venture into CVS, and like any good American, I came out with more stuff than I intended to. While I roamed the aisles, there were a few things that made those 20 minutes most enjoyable and enlightening.

I ended up purchasing a pink shower puff. I reached into the first bin I saw and ended up with it, the chose was not something I had thought much of at all. As I continued down the shower stuff aisle I noticed that the men's and women's supplies were segregated more intensely that I ever thought. Not only are the shaving products separated, but the shower gels/body washes were kept on either side of the shaving products so that the soaps could not get confused. In the area of the male shower supplies BLACK shower puffs were on display. Over by the women, pastels ruled. It never occurred to me that if a guy wanted a shower puff, he would need to own a black one, but apparently someone seems to think this color choice is needed.

After over coming you shock of the black puff I began to think about how I wanted to drink a Cape Codder when I got home but had already left the grocery store and was pretty sure I was out of cranberry juice. Well, CVS sometimes has drinks and food so I continued on. There was no cranberry juice in the fridges, I thought I had been thwarted and then I saw the "water & juice" sign. AWESOME. Right? Not so awesome. Apparently, in CVS flavored seltzer water is considered juice. There was nothing on that set of shelves that was either plain bottled water or flavored seltzer. I was slightly taken aback, why bother have the juice part? Oh well...

I had acquired a number items at that point but had a nagging feeling I was missing something. Then I remembered I was low on q-tips! Duh. I stood there for a moment trying to figure out where I would locate them. Technically they are not supposed to be used in your ear and instead for make up removal and cleaning small things. Off to the beauty aisles I went. After coming up with nothing I asked the woman stocking the shelves. The BABY SUPPLY AISLE was were I was directed. Honestly? Who decides where to put this stuff. I figured you might need to know this when you go through your set of 300.

The final thing is not so much entertaining but, I don't know, maybe something that just eases my mind. My friends and I had been talking about how women get the short end of the stick when it comes to health issues. By health issues I am not talking about actual physical diseases, conditions, or biological stuff, but things like having to pay more in health insurance. The other things mentioned were how being a woman with lots of headaches is considered normal, but if a man had the same complaint to their doctor action would be taken, or that you can't use flexible spending accounts to buy tampons and pads (this is something that just baffles me). After talking about how you can't do this, we suddenly got really concerned that we might be paying taxes on these items. Sales tax is not placed on things that are "necessary" like milk. Pretty sure any female would add tampons to that list. Well with this on my mind, I went ahead and purchased some, I needed them anyway. NO TAX. Thank God. If I had seen a line item for tax I would have ranted - even more than when I discussed my displeasure with the way Birth Control is prescribed. All you women, please let it be known, we are not being taxed for menstruating.

No comments:

Post a Comment