Monday, November 30, 2009

It only takes five months to make the Fashion Bible...

See. The sun never sets on a bad ass.

Two weeks ago, I saw The September Issue, which if you don't know, is about the creation of the 2007 September Issue of Vogue. The documentary provides insight not only into how the issue is made, but small glimpses of both Anna and Grace. These two remarkable women are the genius behind the top fashion magazine in the world.

There is speculation that Anna was the inspiration for the character of Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada. After seeing The September Issue, I understand where the thought comes from. Anna is certain with her decisions and does not need an extra moment to form an opinion, and for this, she is able to create a master piece month after month.

As much as I enjoyed learning more about Ms. Wintour, Grace Coddington stole my heart and gave me a job to dream about. She is the top fashion editor in the magazine and creates, by far, the most amazing spreads. I only recently became a Vogue subscriber, but it was easy to flip through the issues I have in my house to confirm that my favorite spreads were done by Grace. At 68 years old, she is still producing great work and appears to be one of the few individuals who know how to stick up to Anna.

One of my favorite moments was after the final shoot in the documentary where she uses the camera man as one of her props. She realizes as the shots are being touched up that Anna may wish to tuck his tummy a little, and Grace immediately gets on the phone to editing telling them they better not touch his gut! I have to admit, letting him keep his body as it is, does add to the photo. She has a gift. I was not the only one who was smitten by Grace and her somewhat dumpy dresses/skirts and hippie sandals (no disrespect Grace! I love that you wear what is clearly comfortable!!)

I love the line in the Huffington Post article towards the end...

"They like to dictate the hair, the makeup, the clothes, the photographer – and that's annoying. I like to do that."

So Grace, if you see this, please let me know if you need an assistant. I am completely and absolutely fine with dropping everything here and following you around the world that is Vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment