Monday, November 2, 2009

Snuggies really are the blanket of the future

Over the last three years I have gotten very used to living in a cold apartment. To keep the utilities low, my roommates and I have always pushed off turning on the heat for as long as possible, and then once it went on didn't ever put it much higher than 67 degrees. (In fact it was a rarity for the heat to go beyond 65) Between being frugal with heat, living in Worcester for four winters and having a lower body temperature, I have been programmed to not get cold easily. This was something I have always been proud of since I am a small person and I should get cold at a drop of a degree.

Well things seem to have changed recently. I get the chills more often than I would like now. At this point, I am pretty sure that the source for this change is because...

Heat is included in my rent at my new apartment.

Not only is included, but as I have stated before, I do not have a central thermostat and have to control individual radiators. These angry hissing metal lumps seem to love to turn on all the time. I can't figure out how to make it stop, so I have become a wasteful person by simply opening the windows if I get to warm. Before you shake your finger at me, please understand that I have called my maintenance men and no one seems to want to help me out.

The chills weren't much of an issue until last Thursday when I went to watch the World Series game at a friend's house. I got there around 9 pm and it was a little brisk out when I walked the few blocks to get there. Once I got inside, I assumed it would just take a matter of minutes before I felt warm enough for a cold pint of blush wine. So not the case. I just couldn't warm up. Eventually a regular blanket was tossed my way, and a pint glass was passed. Trying to stay under the blanket proved to be a problem while attempting to drink.

Seeing me deal with the decision of warmth vs wine, my kind host passed along a snuggie. Yes, a snuggie. The blanket with sleeves. I put that baby on, wrapped myself up and was able to enjoy the rest of the game and wine in peace.

I may mock this invention and I may find it ridiculous when I am told by friends that they own one. But I cannot deny the fact that they really do provide a wonderful service. I don't know how I would have survived the baseball game without the snuggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment