Saturday, November 21, 2009

Plus 1 rules


With everything going on in the economy people understand that the holiday parties are probably going to be cut down or simply canceled. Slashing away at the holiday festivities makes sense from a financial standpoint, but given the statistics of workplace morale and the forecast that a majority of employees plan to jump ship in 2010, the merriment really should be kept up. We minions don't have much going for us right now except more work we can possibly handle.

One friend was informed that the holiday party was going to change. She isn't sure what that means...is it off...is it still on but slightly cut back...or are is there going to be some soda, cheese and crackers? Who knows.

Another friend put this message in her gchat status.

holiday christmas party for employees AND significant others (ONLY). great. making an appearance as Bridget Jones once again.

This comment made me pause and think to myself. I mean I understand that the term "significant others" are used because if you said "married" or "married/engaged" people would revolt for various reasons. Until recently same-sex couples couldn't get married, and even though they are able now, there are many couples both hetro and homo that choose to just be partnered, so the term "significant" has been considered the most PC term.

I get this. But really what does significant mean? Online dictionaries agree that this adjective means "important; of consequence". I would say that this description applies to my closest friends as much as anyone else. I might not be in a serious romantic relationship, but that doesn't mean that I don't have significant others in my life. In fact, there are people who are in relationships with individuals who make them miserable. Why is that bond more legitimate than the one I have with a friend? If my company chooses to limit our party to employees and a significant other, I am inviting the same friend who I have invited for the last 2 years. She is one of my best friends and has provided significant support for me.

In the end, I find the concept of only romantic partners as plus ones to be insulting. The reason you bring your partner is so you have someone to talk with, why does the world think that single people don't want to have that safety net too? If anything, there is nothing more painful than having to endure a long conversation about some couple's kid that you have no interest in. At least if you have a friend with you, the two of you can go off and laugh over a drink about the awkward conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment