Friday, November 6, 2009

C is for Cookie

I guess if you don't use google daily like me, you might not be aware of the fact that Sesame Street is celebrating it's 40th birthday. Each day the Google header on the site has been redesigned to involve characters from the show. My favorite, was one of the firsts, and that was Cookie Monster. The use of his googly eyes as the o's is simply wonderful. I could not stop smiling after I saw it.


Cookie was one of my favorite monsters on the show growing up. He was lovable and silly. I particularly enjoyed when he was overzealous about eating his plate of cookies and would toss in a toaster. With the celebration of the show's longevity, there have been many articles written about the show's purpose and evolution. I have enjoyed reading such articles but am also saddened to learn that Cookie has now decided that cookies are a "sometimes food". He no longer tries to devour them as often and apparently eats broccoli!!!

Yes, I understand that childhood obesity is on the rise, but really? I remember as a child thinking how sad I was for Cookie since he tried so hard to eat all those cookies but they usually just ended up breaking into lots of little pieces. I never thought that I should attack a pile of cookies like that and munch munch munch like crazy. In all reality, I didn't really have the option as my parents kept cookies out of my reach and allowed me to have 3-4 in my lunches in elementary school. Cookie isn't a bad influence if parents restrict their children's ability to reach cookies themselves. I can also say, that I am pretty sure seeing a bright blue monster eat broccoli would not get me to change my anti-green vegetable ways.

Should we be concerned that Cookie might relapse? What if all this "sometimes food" stuff gets the best of him. He could go on a cookie rampage!!! And on that note, let's consider the t-shirt I have been contemplating purchasing from woot.com for a few weeks now. I did just buy the zombie candy corn one, so I might hold off just to keep within my budget.



I'm going to end with a clip of my favorite monster singing a song dedicated to his favorite food:

No comments:

Post a Comment