Sunday, November 29, 2009

Exercise Illiterate

Umm, I can't wait to find out what this exercise is, or how it helps me.

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods on Saturday afternoon. I have been well aware of the fact that while I look like I might be considered "in shape", I am very much just skinny fat. My muscles are consistently tight which causes them to cramp up and me scream - in public. Over the course of the last few months I have been saying over and over again that I would start up yoga again and regular stretching. So far, nothing. I'm done with excuses, I need to get on this before my body curls up onto itself. It could happen, I think.

Anyway, back to me being in the sporting goods store, I decided to take this opportunity to look through the fitness section. Here I found those big fun balls that are used for stretching or sit ups or something but quickly realized that as much as I have wanted one of those, all I really need at this moment are some of those stretch bands. I found a set of three that were not on sale, but honestly, I can spare the $20 to get myself loosened up.

I went to start my new life. A life that would consist of crunches, push ups, squats, and stretching (for flexibility) and I got stumped when I went to leave the starting gate. To start my session, I figured I would break out the new bands and go with the flexibility stretches. The box tells me that they are three different resistance levels, but doesn't bother to tell me which is which. I mean they are different colors, how hard would it have been to say red = easy, blue = medium, green = hard. I tested them out and think that the red is the easy one but I am not completely sure.

Just now, I thought to see if I could tell visually if there was a thickness difference. I am going to keep red as the easy and move blue to hard, but green could be the easy one too...I am just going to go with my gut.

On top of not knowing what the levels are, I also don't understand what the clip is for that is found in this kit. There is a great chart that shows me movements I could try, unfortunately they don't include what the clip is for, or explain how I would secure it to the door way. My thought was to tie it to the handle, but I feel that is probably wrong.

I think I am going to have to do some research tomorrow to find out exactly how to use these gigantic rubber bands. Baby steps? At least I own them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment