Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just like riding a bike


Don't get me wrong. I adore all of the friends that I have made since moving up here over three years ago, and have loved all of the adventures and craziness we have had together, but there is something to be said for a home friend. At this point in time I have few connections to my hometown beyond my family. The few school mates that I have kept in contact with live pretty much anywhere but home. One such individual has been in the Balkins for the last few years with the PeaceCorps.

Well she has returned. Not only has she returned, but she has decided to settle back down (at least for a few years) in South County. Visiting home just got way more exciting.

Our friendship is really flexible. We rarely emailed let alone spoke while she was across the big blue and this was the same when we were at different colleges. But distance or time does not change our dynamic. She happened to be in Boston on Halloween Day and sent me a text at about 8:45 am asking if I was around and wanted to meet her in the city. I said yes, of course but also requested some time for some more sleep. We spent the afternoon walking around the Commons and Newbury St. Ultimately settling in with some day drinking at a pub around 1 pm. The conversation never dwindled, nor was it ever awkward, and towards the end of the day we realized how simple our friendship was. I am really excited that she is back in New England and am excited to see her more often.

Every friendship is special and unique, but I am just so happy that we share the same appreciation for a relationship that stays strong, constant and steady even though we can go years without sharing a moment of it. Can't wait for more visits!!

But PS, I really do cherish my relationships with all of you that I do see very very regularly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment