Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wiki-what? Wiki-how?

I had set up an iGoogle homepage right around the last olympics to follow the medal race. At the time I spent a good 30 minutes or so looking through the different options that are available to personalize the page. I like things that are silly, make me laugh, but provide me with information. You can see this with the useless fact box that is on this blog. I used this kind of criteria to design my page. Once the games finished my default homepage somehow got switched and I simply forgot about the site.

Recently, gmail has had some blips and minor breakdowns causing gchat to bomb out. All I can say is that fortunately, these problems have yet to occurr at the same time that twitter has been overwhelmed and crashed. Losing the ability to chat with a friend during a stressful day at work can really kill you. iGoogle is a way around this problem. But let's keep this between me and you because last thing I want is everyone to use the iGoogle site because than that would just crash too.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that I started to redesign the page as the Olympic medal count is not so important at the time being and saw that I had added the Wiki-how application. Every day there are how-tos posted about some of the most ridiculous concepts and skills. My favorite example is the wiki that teaches you how to fall safely or even better how to dye karakeke (flax) with crepe paper.

These are fantastic. Please feel free to peruse. You can submit your own articles. I am trying to figure out what I can teach someone to do that would be amusing, yet helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment