Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bacon Anonymous Confession


Prior to today, I had never cooked bacon.

I said it. I feel better. Sometimes, you just have to come clean.

I didn't even realize that I was a bacon cooking virgin until I got ready to make the Bacon Pasta Salad for an afternoon BBQ. As I grabbed the product out of the fridge I paused.

What did I do last time? Wait - was there a last time? Oh My God! I have never made bacon!!!

Of course, my first response was to call my dad. He is in charge of bacon for any big breakfast in our household. His first response to me asking what to do - laugh. Then ask, "you really never made bacon before?"

I get it! This is a ridiculous situation to be in at 26 years old without bacon experience, but is it my fault I have been surrounding myself with prize bacon fryers? No. Clearly I keep good company and now I can proudly say I make some really good crispy bacon.

If anyone is unsure what to do, I'll give you the secret. Just put bacon in a frying pan and don't turn the heat up too high. Easiest recipe ever. Please remember to have a grease jar ready once the pan cools down as you don't want to pour that down the drain!

And yes, the pasta salad was a big hit!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't we make bacon for homefries when we lived together? Or did I just make the bacon? I distinctly remember being hungover and having homefries with you at The Elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes bacon in the oven. No grease splashing you!

    ReplyDelete