Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Short Fuse

Working in customer services has its ups and downs. One of the ups is if no one has a question at any particular moment, you get to blog at work. The big down is, if everyone has a question, you end up talking for 7 hours straight, forget to use the bathroom, and begin to hate all of mankind for being so freaking stupid.

I wrote that paragraph on Friday and could not return to this post until today (Tuesday). Oye! Yeah, I know, I shouldn't complain that I have to work non-stop with no breaks, but sometimes you just want a little breathing room. Fortunately today isn't too bad, so I anticipate that this post should be up in the early afternoon. I would try to finish it during lunch, but we have our hour lunches cut down today - barely enough time to eat and grab a breath of fresh air!

Back to the point of this post:

I saw a gchat status message of a friend of mine which was simply a link to Sneaky Spiral of Hate. (You may have seen it earlier this year if you frequent Hyperbole and a Half.) This is the first time I have been to the site, for a moment I was confused and thought I was within the oatmeal website, but nope, just similar drawing styles.

The Spiral of Hate is pretty spot on and the illustrations made me laugh out loud, for reals (which is why I didn't say lol). It made me think about my typical days, all my hate and how true this spiral is.

As I reflected about how frustration builds, I began looking through the site. My spiral of hate started going full force as I noticed she can live off her blog and I cannot -grrrrr. I mean I understand that my blog really has no focus other than me, and I have no idea what kind of merchandise I could then create...but let's go back to explaining the other aspects of my spiral.

The start of the spiral was waking up hot (as my a/c is still on the floor of my bedroom rather than in my window), stupid ass drivers on the commute in (oh I forgot that you should be in the left hand lane to make a right turn), a huge number of asinine questions ("I wanted to be sure I should follow the directions in the email you sent me"), and a phone altercation with a local government office. Yes, I might have yelled at some innocent bystander in that office, but I feel absolutely no remorse about it. If she had been nice to me, I would have felt bad about projecting my frustration with the office onto her, but she just proved that they could care less about the service they provide the community. I need to stop this post now, because just thinking about this is revving up the hate and I need to be as pleasant as possible as we have a lot of visitors today.






This photo was taken from
the Spiral of Hate Post

No comments:

Post a Comment