Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dirt, does a body good

A friend posted an article from the New York Times regarding how eating a little dirt helps a body build an immune system. I found the article extremely fascinating. The idea is something that I personally have believed as well. I mean I am a big hand-washer, especially during cold/flu epidemics, but overall I'm not always that careful about what I touch. In fact, I feel that it may be this reason that my immune system is so strong, in all reality I rarely get sick (knock on wood). In fact, I don't think I have even had a minor runny nose cold yet this winter. (hoping this post is not jinxing me...)

What I do know is that for the last two mornings I have been on my way to work or a coffee house with the intention of eating breakfast and both times there have been extremely adorable and excited puppies just begging for me to pet them. So I did, I stopped petted them, let them lick my hands, and continued on my way. Less than 30 minutes later I was using that same hand to hold my pop tart/scone. It wasn't until after the fact that I realized I never went into the bathroom to wash up. But this doesn't bother me. Just like leaning my head against a pole on the t when I am exhausted causes no concern. I know people that carry around the anti-bacterial sanitizers, I dread the thought of becoming one of those people. As much as I hate sickness, I surprisingly have no fear of germs (i realize this may not make sense to you but it does to me). When I eventually get to having a kid - eeek - I fully intend to expose him to as much as possible, my kid will be dirty but healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment