Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walking in a Snow Globe

Walking is by far my preferred method of getting around out here, and is how I commute to work every day, get to friends houses, kickball games, bars, jazzfunk, etc. With the snow falling as consistently as it has this weekend, being a pedestrian has become quite risky. I am not going to even broach the topic of Massachusetts drivers in the winter, or God help me the plow men. (Last year i was almost hit by a plow...we are talking inches between me and that gigantic yellow monster) What I am simply going to address is my method of staying on my feet and off my ass.

Over the course of the last 7 or so years I have perfected my technique of successfully staying upright while moving over snow covered sidewalks. Four Worcester winters provided me with the practicals needed to increase my ability to survive slippery steps and slush covered hills.

In my opinion, the key to keeping from landing on one's ass is that one must take small controlled steps. If you're doing it right you will begin to "feel the burn" in the hip flexer area. (I use this muscular reaction as an reason for why I shouldn't need to feel guilty for staying away from the gym...we don't need to discuss the fact that I probably shouldn't get as much of a work out as i do from walking in the snow) I'm not sure why a smaller gait is better, but i feel like it has to do with the fact that your feet stay under your center of gravity more.

Since my steps are smaller they become quicker and I have been informed that I kind of look like a cartoon character that is zipping along the roads. Personally, I feel like I look more penquin-esk. I mean not only do I waddle while doing this, but my arms are always slightly away from the body in an attempt to keep me balanced. The arms come out a bit more when things look a little more icy, subconsciously they must be the equivlent of a tightrope-walker's pole.

The most amusing part of my winter walking has to be when I have to adjust my movement to allow for me to turn up a side street. Not only do my steps become absolutely minuscule and lightening fast, but my arms fly out to become almost parallel to the ground. The best place to see this action occur is to see me try and turn down Gorham Street near Davis Square, I have been told it is ridiculous.

For additional resources regarding this topic, you may wish to refer to the Globe. I enjoyed that they point out that part of a penguin's success to staying up is because of a huge claw that is on the bottom of their foot. Is the reporting hoping that I attach a nail to the bottom of my boot? Just wondering what the point of that comment is...maybe its to remind me that no matter how careful I am I will most likely end up sprawling out on the sidewalk at somepoint into a bush. I'm thinking that yak trax may be a better option...

No comments:

Post a Comment