Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thumbs up all around

The last week I have read one book, seen two movies and listened to three new (to me) musicians...

Well Enough Alone A Cultural History of My Hypochondria
* First off, you should know that this book was a gift, I did not purchase this one on my own. But that being said, this book provides great insight on the history of Hypochondria, a number fun facts and a ton of new diseases to self diagnose with... Those who do not suffer probably have no need to read it

Slumdog Millionare
*
I can't say enough about this movie. I thought it was well done and clearly the award people agree. The movie pulls on all sorts of emotions and thankfully has a bolly-wood style dance number during the credits.

Defiance
*
Daniel Craig's blue eyes are reason enough to go see this film. The world is bleak and grey but those blue pierce through your soul. The final moments of the movie has those true statements regarding the characters you have been watching for the last 2 plus hours and of course they cause the tears to come out...

So I went to the Paradise for the first time. Awesome venue. I need to go again...if you haven't been we shall have to grab a show soon. Which leads me to the first to singers

Joshua Radin
* He was the second person to go on stage. His voice is unbelievable in concert. His stories between songs are great, and he thinks that "there is nothing more sexy than a girl that recycles".

Dar Williams
* Dar was the headliner of the night. I had heard great things from many friends and just took a leap of faith that their judgment was good and went to the show. She's adorable, her songs are spunky and I enjoyed them all.

The last group I was exposed to because my legs/feet were needed for a picture. My appendages clearly are more photogentic than the rest of me. (you can find my hand in the holy cross admissions booklet -- i'm the one holding a pussy willow branch)

Chester French

* Go to their myspace page link. The music is great. And quite possibly you may see a very small part of me in their slide show of fans..only time will tell.

This week was full of great new finds (and by finds I really should say referrals). I really needed to revamp my iPod, all these groups have smooth sounds so if you know of anyone else please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Joshua Radin is QUITE amazing. Other ones you should check out: Ingrid Michaelson, Matt Nathanson, Jason Mraz (probably heard of him at least, since he's getting bigger and bigger)

    ReplyDelete