Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Umbrellas are not just for Rain


The mbta trip finder informs me that if I wanted to take public transportation from my orange house to my 70s inspired office building it would take about 27 minutes. Of this 27 minute trip, 21 of them involve walking to and from various bus stops. This is not exactly worth having to wake up earlier than I currently am -- currently walking takes me about 15 minutes.

Anyway, I have found that winter weather walking is made bearable by two extra accessories: the second scarf and the umbrella.

The second scarf does wonders with the wind. First, a hippie scarf is worn close to the neck for instant warmth and help to my need for having at least two layers on each and every part of my body. Second, a knit scarf is wrapped around to help keep the hood of my coat up and to fight against the cool wind.

More importantly let us focus on the umbrella. The umbrella helps while walking through a snowglobe snow storm. Snow often blows right into your face which makes you constantly blink or if you are wearing glasses cause everything to get blurry and hard to see...it just causes the walk to become miserable. The constant pelting of snow in the face helps remind me that the world is getting covered in snow -- and not pretty snow, snow that is going to make driving miserable, snow that is going to sit on the sidewalk forever because people don't feel like shoveling their portion of the sidewalk, snow that is going to turn yellow or black in a few days making the world dirty...yeah snow in the face while walking to work at 8:30 sucks. The umbrella keeps those flakes a healthy distance from my face allowing for me to view the snow fall from just enough of a distance that I can pretend it's not really here...

So don't be afraid of usin the umbrella in the snow...at first I thought it was weird, now I rarely leave home without one...but then again, it was this kind of reasoning that began my addition to sunglasses. so maybe, for your own sanity you do want to just forget everything that i mentioned above. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment