Monday, January 18, 2010

Not much better on TV


Two weekends ago my friends and I went shopping. While at J-Crew I saw a super cute tank top on a hanger (see above). I had to try it on. When I got inside the changing room, I could immediately tell that this would look amazing or terrible. How did I know this? It has a side zipper. Any shirt with a side zipper requires extra shimmying. That dedication can reward you greatly or make you feel stupid - stupid because after all the awkward ways you just contorted your body, the item looks more like you wrestled with fabric than put on an article of clothing.

Well, it was unflattering. The tie is just too far down on the silhouette. When cinched, the shirt was not coming in under my chest, which would create a flattering empire waist line. What it did do was pull into the smallest part of my waist, which may sound like it would create a successful sillhouette, but because of the tiered pieces of fabric, it simply gave me a small break in the barrel shape it naturally created. The shirt needs to be tied as the natural flow is not enough either to become flattering. Overall, neither I, nor my friend could figure out how one could successfully wear this piece.

The stylist for How I Met Your Mother was clearly also intrigued by the shirt, as he dressed the character Lily in it. I would like to say that I now understand how it should have looked on me. But instead, I will say that she looked just as bad. The formentioned friend felt the same way, as seen by the text I received from her that stated "a girl on tv was wearing that ugly shirt from jcrew and no, it was not attractive".

No comments:

Post a Comment