Monday, January 11, 2010

When Life Spoils Your Milk...

Make A Poor Man's Mocha?
This was the beginning of week two of working full time and going to night class from 6-9 EVERY DAY. I am surviving as best I can. Sleep is a luxury. Grocery shopping is nothing but a memory. I opted to stay at my parents' this weekend when I went to pick up my car that has been in their driveway since Christmas, so I wasn't able to get any real cleaning done up here and I have about a four foot tall pile of clothes that need laundered, oye! Sunday night, I decided that I had enough food to survive the upcoming week so I could go without a late night run to the store. This morning, however, I immediately regretted the decision while I made my cup of coffee. Just as my travel mug filled up, I went into the fridge and realized, no milk.

Ugh.

I froze. I had no idea what I was going to do to make the coffee drinkable - I had brewed it strong and drinking it black was simply not an option. I considered the idea of adding extra sugar, but that didn't feel right. Then as I looked up into my food cupboard, I saw the solution to my problem. The hot chocolate powder packets. I quickly grabbed one, dumped half a packet into my mug, and stirred. Yum. I had completely forgotten about this technique and thankfully it really does the trick. Somehow the sweetness of the chocolate powder simultaneously acts as a creamer and sugar, and I am ok with just accepting this as fact. Hopefully I can get some milk this upcoming weekend, but for now, I can deal with this as a temporary solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment