Sunday, January 31, 2010

A few comments on the Grammys


Watched the Grammy's with a friend of mine. Both of us were very excited to see what Lady Gaga would come up with for her various costumes. This first piece was created by Giorgio Armani. We had gotten a glimpse of it when we first put on the red carpet coverage and were thankful that she was interviewed towards the end as it was clear she would not be in this for long. She had a amazing opening where she wore some intense shoes. My guess is that they were McQueens but I could be wrong and will be on the look out for pictures of them. As much as I love the sculptural aspects of this look, I find something just off about her face. Cannot put my finger on it, but there is something strange.





Katy Perry is another person I really enjoy seeing on the red carpet or up on stage. Also edgy, but not so out there like Ms. Gaga. Her fiancee is gorgeous so I figured it was worth finding a picture that showed the two of them. I understand the appeal that this dress may have had for Katy, but I wish she had kept shopping. The fit is weird in the boob area. It isn't so obvious in this shot, but the fabric doesn't pull very tight under her bust so it makes the girls look a little saggy. Additionally, I hate side boob. I don't think it is appealing and I wish she chose a dress that provided some side coverage. The look might have been more acceptable if the dress wasn't so close to flesh tones. It made the side boob look slightly accidental.






For someone who decided name herself after a color, Pink does not choose to sport the shade but definately embodies all that it represents. Her red carpet dress was amazing with the layering and bling even if it was in neutral grays and creams.

The acrobatic performance was amazing. Awkward glitter patches aside (I feel there would have been better ways to cover her lady bits) her costume was simple but sexy. At first I doubted her skills when she simply spun in a large piece of fabric. After she was dunked in water, her athleticism was shown. She started to hang straight down and then began to spin at an alarming rate. The water spraying off her body gave off a wonderful effect. I was a little curious if there was a splash zone below for the guests and if so, who got wet?



Ke$ha has made it to the red carpet. Tik Tok is a catchy enough song, by catchy I believe she hit some sort of record recently with the sales. I guess I had never seen her picture before, because I had no idea who the Courtney Love wannabe was who Ryan Seacrest was hoping to flag down. I understand that she was dirt poor before hitting it big. The one thing she said she was excited to do with her new found wealth was "buy a taco".

It will take her a little while to find her style. But I think trashy, glitter, Pocahontas might not be the look she is hoping for.










Last dress (for now). Lea Michele is a Grammy winner from her time on Spring Awakening. Now, she is most known (for my age demographic at least) for her role as Rachel on Glee. The cameras kept finding her with this dress, and I can't quite decide if I like it or not. The bottom is superb. No question. What I am having issue with relates to the over the shoulder mesh strap. I just find it distracting and makes her somehow look bulky on just one side. Maybe if the fabric was more solid in nature? All I know is at the intersection where the ruching along her waist meets the draping of the shoulder my eye gets offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment