Tuesday, January 26, 2010

This is my problem with reality tv


Blogs have been recently been posting about the possibility of a second season of the Jersey Shore. I am not surprised that MTV would try to ride this out with a second summer as this season was a hit - mainly due to Snooki getting punched in the face. What does surprise me is that they would bring back the original cast. The likelihood that the second season would have the same feel is slim as these reality stars have started pimping themselves to make appearances at private parties and venues. The reason the show was so genius is that this reality cast actually appeared real! (If you have ever watched a reality show, you know what I mean. Some girl always tries to be "the bitch", someone else will cry. These reality casts always end up with people who try to play someone they are not) The clothes, makeup, GTL, is all part of their regular lives. At least from my couch it seemed rather believable. One of the contestants was from Johnston, RI. I know what people from that town are like!

With all of the fame that they are now experiencing, it is hard to imagine that the individuals will continue to behave the same way next year. Additionally, it now that the world knows who they are, it would be pretty safe to assume that all the people at the Shore will also be reacting differently. Others may start interacting with the cast by picking fights or trying to hook up just to get some face time.

To go with season 2, MTV offered the cast a $10,000 signing bonus plus $5,000 per episode. The cast turned down the offer and wants more. Who do these people think they are? They should take the money and be happy. (Update: the rumors are circling that season 2 is no definitely on and the cast will get $10,000)

I am sorry, I liked the show, but they do not deserve that kind of money. I don't even deserve that kind of money and I work my butt off. Getting to the title of this post. I love reality trash tv, but I don't like that the individuals become celebrities for being ass-shit crazy. Nor do I like that they get to profit off of the shows. Reflecting on the balloon-boy incident, I almost want reality "stars" to have to sign a contract to state that they aren't going to profit off of the show's results. The fact that Snooki gets paid to do cartwheels in her thong at parties is beyond ludicrous. I understand someone else is stupid enough to pay for it, but something about undeserving fame that just erks me.



All this said, I can be pretty sure that I will tune in next fall for their triumphant return. I may be annoyed, but it is hard to resist a good fist pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment