Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bunkering Down with Comfort Food

Winter is storming Boston. The temperature is dropping crazy fast and because of this I am skipping kickball and instead cooking for one of my best friends from college. I find that cooking for one is pretty much impossible if you want a really hearty meal, so I try and find a guest so that I am not eating the same thing for 4 days straight.

Tonight's menu is baked mac & cheese, green beans (made like last time), fresh fruit with chocolate fondue and mulled spiced rum cider. Lots and lots of warmth.

I usually I use elbows for the mac & cheese but forgot to purchase the pasta when I was at the store yesterday so I went with cellentani. I feel like it was a succes. This was the first time I have made the dish since probably March or so, and I am glad that rues are so simple make (equal parts flour and butter) otherwise this could have been disastrous.

It took us a while to finish off everything, but by the end we were very full and very satisfied and enjoyed watching the latest episode of Top Chef sans commercials thanks to the DVR.

Food is really powerful stuff. Cooking dinner by myself in the apartment was so relaxing and calming after a frustrating afternoon in the office. Eating made me even more happy and content. The stress just melted away, and know why? Food helps with stress. In particular complex carbs and milk sooth the jitters. I found a list of stress reducing foods on webmd today. Those foods will be finding a home in my fridge and then my belly soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment