Friday, October 9, 2009

Comcast FAIL


As I have posted previously, I made a great dinner on Wednesday. I had planned out how I was going to leave my office at 5 pm, walk home, unwind/change out of work clothing, cook, clean, and hang up some pictures all by the time my guest arrived for a 7:30 dinner. Part of my plan involved simply placing on the TV so that I had background noise and company while running around. I get to the point that I want some fictional company and no signal. I try the computer so that I can get something playing off that - no internet. Thankfully iTunes does not require an internet connection.

I left the tv on to see if the connection would just fix itself. After a while I called Comcast and requested a power boost signal thing that is supposed to be your first step in solving cable/internet problems. (Requesting this is the equivalent of turning it off and on your computer before you call IT)

After about 20 minutes I check on it again, I find that there is still nothing. So as I am scrapping potatoes I grab the phone again and try to speak to a representative. I will give Comcast credit, I did not have to wait on hold for long, but after a slightly awkward conversation it was determined that there was simply a blackout in my area. So no tv.

That was fine, I was only using the tv for company and would have simply put on stuff from my dvr list. It wasn't until my guest showed up and I told him about the issue as I was unable to look up something on the internet, that I realized the horror of no cable signal...

Without signal, no DVR powers. With no DVR/cable that meant no GLEE!!!!!!

I know that hulu is there for just this type of problem, but man. I use my DVR so that I don't watch crap tv and only watch things I am actually interested in, and I was about to miss out on the best new show of the season.

While we were dining I saw out of the corner of my eye my modem light up. This provided much relief. GLEE was in my near future after all. After my friend went home to study, I cleaned up and was able to retrieve an episode full of some fantastic mashups.

Yeah, I know tv is out to get me and mush up my mind. But I am surviving just fine for now. Maybe some day I will become a person that "doesn't need tv". As for now, please, bring on Real Chance of Love 2, GLEE, and the new Melrose every week :)



1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for the trouble. I hope that this will not happen again. Did the representative you spoke with issue credit on your account for the time that your service was out? Let me know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete