Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Entertainment Weekly wrote up about the explosions in Law Abiding Citizen. The action director for this movie also did The Italian Job and The Negotiator. It is clear that the guy has serious skills when it comes to making the big scenes work. The publication asked him to give three tips on how to make it work. Tip number two is the one that just didn't sitwell with me.

Make it look as real as possible.

Now, just reading the tip, I'm sure you are wondering what is so wrong with this piece of advice. Of course I want the explosions to look realistic and not all digital, but the example of how he made it look real is what I found to be disturbing...

"Those cars were scripted to detonate outside a prison...Gray decided to blow them up outside an actual functioning prision located near Philadelphia...'We had to take all types of cautionary measures because prisoners can escape...we had to lock down their prison'" (EW)


I want to know what it meant that they had to "lock down" the prison. Yes, I understand prisoners are bad people. But I really hope, that this lock down did not restrict their daily activities. A person's basic rights should not be limited because of some mediocre action flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment