Saturday, February 27, 2010

Change for a Dollar??

Before I moved out of my parents' house, I didn't mind doing my own laundry. At home, the laundry machines were in the room next to mine so very little was needed to get the clothing from my floor to the washing machine. At school, stairs would often need to be used to get to the laundry room, but at least I just needed my ID card to activate the machines.

Now, not only do I need to go from my second floor apartment to the basement, which involves walking down a narrow set of winding stairs. But, I also need the country's rarest form of currency.

Quarters.


Trying to acquire enough quarters to do all my laundry is damn near impossible (excuse my French). Part of the problem is that I probably do my laundry about once a month. One of the reasons this happens, is that I put off trying to get these magic coins for as long as I can. Here are my problems.

  1. The laundry room in my building does not have a quarter machine so I need to find an outside source
  2. My current job is not particularly close to my bank, so I cannot get a roll of quarters from them as I work from 9-5 and so do the banks
  3. I don't use cash all that frequently, so saving quarters from change that I would take forever to get enough for a wash and dry (12 quarters)
  4. Generally, stores are unwilling to part with quarters if you ask for change for a dollar (in line with this, they are definitely not going to give me change for a 5 or 10)

I did realize one solution was to hit up laundromats and use their quarter machines. Of course the one that was on my way home has thought about this and fears giving out quarters to non-customers, so they have created some crazy ticket system... shaky fist!!!!! I was finally able to find a more trusting laundromat and changed about $8 so I could get some laundry done this weekend. If anyone knows another way for me to get some quarters I would be so happy, I really need to figure this out. Either that, or I just need to keep purchasing more clothing so I can last even longer between washings.

No comments:

Post a Comment