Friday, February 26, 2010

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A.... u-s-a u-s-a.... u...s...a... gossip girl?

Two weekends ago I went out to celebrate some friends' birthdays. We started the evening by gathering at an apartment for some snacks and drinks. The Opening Ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics occurred the night before, so it was felt that the games should on in the background. Originally, the plan had been to only be at the apartment for less than an hour and to then head onto the first of two bars. The Olympics, however, had other plans for us.

Before we knew it, everyone was focused on the tv chanting U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A any time an American athlete was shown in an event. The behavior was addictive. Normally, I am not a particularly patriotic person, July 4th is mainly about fireworks for me, but being in that living room with 20 others cheering and throwing their arms up in excitement just got me going. I was excited to be an American citizen.

Eventually we realized we needed to move on as we had been cheering for almost two hours, and well sadly, bars close early in Boston so we needed to leave if we were going to be able to order a few rounds. :)

The next morning I thought about the great emotions that I felt while watching those first few Olympic events and wanted to get them going again. So, for the next week or so, I made sure to turn on the Olympic events every night I was home. Watching them alone didn't quite get me as excited as when watching in a group but still I became a loyal viewer. Once we hit week two, I realized I missed tv.

There were great moments during those first 8 or so days, then, I began yearning for Modern Family's quirky antics, Vampire Diaries mindless plot, and Biggest Loser's edge of your seat weigh-ins. NBC may have sole rights to televise the Olympics, but all other networks have taken note and opted to stop with their programming. I just need a little variety...

Gossip Girl, please come back!!! I miss you dearly. At least I almost got a Georgina fix while watching 17 Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment