Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cool as a Cucumber


Today is Ash Wednesday. It marks the beginning of Lent, which is the 40 (technically plus) days before Easter. For this period of time I am suppose to give something up. My home priest often would suggest that you don't need to deny yourself something and instead encourage the parish to try to enrich their lives through things such as reading the daily paper, walking, or starting up a hobby of some sort. I have often attempted to go this route with journal writing or reading classic novels, or becoming more active. What I don't believe in is giving up foods that are bad for me as I feel many people use Lent as a way to go on a short term diet. No one gives up vegetables, they give up cookies or pizza...

Well this year I am going to give something up. I am going to give up stress.

Seriously.

My idea is to not let the small things get to me. I can get myself worked up fairly easily and I simply don't to deal with that. It is exhausting. Stress can cause bad sleep, poor eating habits and unnecessary worrying. What I want to remind myself is that if I can't control it, thinking about it isn't going to change the outcome. So I will continue to do my best at my jobs and at studying but if things don't go as perfectly as I hope, well whatever. Looking back over the recent months, everything has worked out in the end eventually and me getting stressed doesn't help any.

Let's hope things go smoothly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment