Sunday, May 9, 2010

I am woman. Hear me whirrrrrrrrl

A few weeks ago I went to IKEA and bought a cart for my tiny kitchen. My neighbor bought the same one and said it was the hardest thing to put together. Being the overwhelmed and under-motivated individual that I recently became I opted to allow for mine to stay in its box...until today.

I quickly understood why the cart was considered so difficult. You have to screw all the pieces together. The first few spins - easy peasy, then BAM the freaking thing wouldn't move. I tried so hard to get the stupid hardware into the wood. After a blister formed on my thumb, I decided to think of a Plan B.

Electric Drill.

Perfect plan, just needed to acquire one. I figure why not hop over to SEARS in the CambridgeSide Galleria real fast. All I would need was something small , nothing to fancy, but with enough power to help finish the job.

When I got to the store, holding bags from J-Crew and H&M - can't go to the mall without checking out sales -and I tried to find the power tool myself. A few of the men who worked in the power tool section saw me walking around and asked if I needed help. I gave in and said, sure, might as well get this over fast. I just remembered that I had another belated birthday gift to find.

Major pet peeve about being an independent female shopping in "man stores", is the way the employees tend to treat me. I may not be completely sure of what I need at times, but honestly, don't look at me like I am completely helpless. Instead of just pointing me in the right direction the guy came over and read me the information off the placards that were next to the drills themselves. I could have done that myself.

When he asked me what I was looking for and I explained I was hoping for a small drill like the one my friend owned which was powered by a battery pack. He replied, "Where did she get it?" and I said "I wasn't sure where HE got it". I don't know why it irritated me, but honestly, why assume that my friend was female? If I said I wanted something smaller that super huge, plugs into the wall variety that my friend has, would he have used "he" instead? Ugh. I just hate being looked at as helpless, or cute that I am trying to do this kind of stuff on my own.

In the end, I got what I wanted and was able to finish the cart when I got home. Interestingly enough I ended up using a screw driver to tighten the screws, as I have no skill at using power tools and couldn't get thing to screw past the original point of no return. At least I now have a drill if there is ever an event that calls for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment