Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Where does baby corn come from?

My cupboards are bare. Due to the water crisis in Boston, I opted to stay away from the crazies at the grocery store and instead have been living off of frozen meals. Not the tastiest lifestyle, but hey, it worked. At this point I am dying for some fresh food, maybe a veggie or two, and the company of a close friend. We decided that there was a Thai restaurant close by that would be perfect.

Both of us agreed that vegetable tempura would be a great idea for a starter. The selection was amazing. We had carrots, sweet potatoes, beans, peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, squash, and baby corn. While munching on my baby corn, I began to wonder, where does baby corn come from? Is it like baby carrots, cut from bigger corn some how? Is it its own plant? Or is baby corn, really just baby corn? Well my dining companion was just as stumped as I was. Hmmmm...

Well, thankfully, she has a longer attention span than I and googled the question when she got home. Baby corn is indeed, exactly what it sounds like, baby corn. I am extremely excited about this, and am not sure why. But in case anyone else has wondered about that cute little plant. Next time I get some, I think I will pretend I am a giantess eating regular big corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment