Thursday, March 11, 2010

Females in Utah Need to MOVE

Dear Utah:

SHAME ON YOU!

With hatred,
Me
------------

Over the last few weeks, my coworker and I have been following the news, as it breaks on Jezebel, about a new law that was being formed in Utah centered on miscarriages being equated to murder. Early drafts of this new legislation stated that any woman that miscarriages for any reason could be tried for murdering their unborn child. This includes miscarriages related to being involved in car accidents or falling accidentally. Utah appears to believe that all miscarriages can be prevented if the woman is being responsible and protective of her fetus. In all actuality many pregnancies go unrecorded since it is well documented that the first trimester is the most dangerous for a fetus. A large number of women never know they were pregnant to begin with.

Sadly, the law has passed. Fortunately, some of the language has been toned down, but the state has still criminalized miscarriages. The law has opted to define miscarriages that can be tried for homicide as those that result from "reckless acts". Reckless acts are broad enough that the term does nothing to help protect women from individuals that wish to try them under this insane ruling.

In the latest article, there was a link to the actual law. I tried to read through it and failed miserably. This experience makes me wonder why laws are written in this way. Why is the law written in such a way that the average citizen cannot understand what it states? I consider myself a relatively intelligent individual. If something is passed that is going to change my world (assuming I am an unfortunate female who lives in Utah) I feel like I should be able to review and process the information. But I honestly sat at my computer for at least 15 minutes and couldn't get past the first section without feeling like I was missing how the law worked as it appeared to me that miscarriages were actually ok...?

I hope other states do not continue on this path especially since New York, Delaware and Iowa have similar laws already in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment