Monday, March 15, 2010

WSJ is more fashionable than I thought.


Daily I read through perezhilton.com, jezebel.com, and projectrungay.blogspot.com. I also follow a number of fashion magazines and design houses on twitter. This system has kept me in the loop with regards to fashion trends and has provided some great articles to peruse through during downtime. Never had I thought to turn to the WallStreetJournal.

Last Friday, a friend of mine sent me a number of articles produced by this publication. I was taken aback. At first, I thought, why did she send me stuff from wsj.com? Then I started reading. The articles were great.

Miuccia and Me is an article that focuses on the power couple of Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli. The author focuses more on Patrizio than Miuccia. My guess is because he handles most of the business side of the company and it is the WSJ.

Today, Bertelli says his sons are his window into what young consumers want. “You have to watch young people, because if you’re not updated with the world of today, then you might as well get the hell out of fashion.”

I like knowing that even the high fashion houses like Prada realize that one shouldn't ignore the trends found within the younger generations. Yes, most young people cannot afford the designer labels, but the spirit of where fashion is headed can often be found on the streets.

I did catch myself laughing when I completely forgot that Prada was a woman and not just a label when reading the following sentence:

Bertelli and his sons were still fixed in front of the television when Prada walked in and plopped herself on the couch, unbuckling her shoe straps. “This is a real glamour evening, isn’t it?” she joked.

And who says fashion hates food? I would love for the Prada household to invite me over if this is going to be served: "On the menu were spinach-filled pasta, meatballs, spinach pudding, potato puree, a cream dessert and a chocolate cake—topped off with red wine."

The article often refers to the fact that the power couple gets into rather loud and intense arguments while working. I was thrilled at on page four we got a taste of such a dialogue when the two begin to discuss Prada's disinterest in using the internet to promote the label.

The second article that was sent to me was Chemical Attraction which focuses on the husband and wife team behind Estee Lauter. This article focuses even more about the relationship that first but there were also some cute lines I wanted to point out

They admit that they sometimes kiss in the office, but always behind closed doors.

He admits to wearing pink shirts and ties to please his wife.

I hope to be lucky enough to find a guy that is willing to wear pink shirts just to make me happy :)

I think I might try making magazine.wsj.com a page I review more regularly if I can learn more about the people who make my life so colorful and pretty...

No comments:

Post a Comment