Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reliving the Silliness of my Childhood

Today I saw that there will be a new Shel Silverstein book out in 2011. (Apparently this is the second posthumous publication, a collection entitled Runny Babbit came out in 2005.)

This extremely talented poet was the brains behind some of my favorite books growing up; A Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Missing Piece, etc. I can remember reading these books cover to cover, over and over again. Giggling each and every time. I decided to memorize a number of the poems and realize that to this day, I can still recite pieces of them.


I have to be perfectly honest in that I might purchase these books as gifts for children of friends just so I can quickly read the books cover to cover before wrapping them up. Additionally, A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends have been re-released as special editions, each containing an additional 12 poems. Again, I would love to get my hands on a copy so that I can see the new silliness.
I am pretty sure this picture is from a poem about children who want to revolt, but can't continue with their crusade as they cannot cross the street by themselves.

1 comment:

  1. I have most of his books if you ever want to borrow them! It's for the kids, I swear :)

    ReplyDelete