Friday, April 23, 2010

Oh-no Emilio

I don't like Emilio as a person. Well, I can say I don't like Emilio as a designer as he was portrayed on Project Runway and based on this I do not like him a person. I also understand based on everything that I have read, that he was even more of pain in the ass than the producers let us know. As there were many arguments with Tim Gunn that were left on the editing room floor. Anyway, let's get to the fashion.

The finale for Project Runway Season 7 was yesterday. My gut told me that Seth Aaron would come through in the end to take the prize, and I am happy to say my gut was right. As the second half of the season progressed, I became less and less of a fan of Emilio's work. His final show screamed outdated 80s to me. Apparently the judges didn't get the same feeling as their biggest critique was that the collection was more of a line than a show.




My neighbor and I had the same reaction to this piece. Ick and 80's. The silhouette in our opinions is not modern. Beyond reminding us of decade's past, and not in a good way, it looked bulky. Not in the sense that the jacket necessarily made the model look bigger but that the fabric itself seemed thicker and possibly a heavy polyester blend.

I am pretty neutral on the pants or leggings, not completely sure what they are. The snaps up the back of the calves are interesting, but don't really understand how they go with the jacket.

All in all, not particularly excited about this look. So let's continue on.








Seriously? What made Emilio choose this print. Maybe it could be used as an accent, but to make an entire outfit is just ludicrous and ugly. What woman wants to wear that. It makes this poor model look like swamp thing.

The elbow length red rubber gloves also baffle me. I don't think I even need to write anything more about them. Speechless.

I will say I love the height to the shoes. There should be at least one positive statement, right? Makes me a little less bitchy...









This is the last garment I am going to type about. The color selection for this print is drab. It reminds me of what happens to printed curtains that get too much sun. I feel that the purple and blue should pop a bit more. But even if the color wasn't sickly, I don't know if it would make me like the dress any better.

The idea of creating a print is awesome, my best guess is he got the idea from the print challenge, and I will give him credit that this is much better than the version he created the first time (as at least this time it didn't look like he stole it from Louis Vuitton). But I feel like he put effort in creating this branding because he has convinced himself that he was the winner. He still needed to convince us we are the winner. If I liked the silhouette, maybe I would be willing to wear it with his name plastered all over it. The truth is that the dress is more on the ugly side, and the print only makes it worse.


I will agree with the other bloggers out there that his last dress was gorgeous. While it didn't fit with anything else that walked down the runway, it at least reminded us that he can make beautiful garments.

1 comment:

  1. I was so glad Emilio didn't win. His attitude was a real downer, and his clothes were NOT that amazing.

    ReplyDelete