Monday, April 19, 2010

Too Tired To Type


Today is Patriot's Day. Or for those of us that live in the Boston area, Marathon Monday. While I have lived here for almost four years, this is the first year that I had the pleasure of having the day off. Previously, my employers have opted to require the staff to show up, as our offices were not along the 26 mile route. With my new job, this is no longer the case, so the day was mine.

A friend of mine decided to run this year, and so, I, with a handful of others, chased him along the racecourse cheering him on the best we could. It was actually a lot of fun trying to figure out exactly where he was at any point in time. Technology allowed for us to see if he made it past various check points. That, with the help of phone calls from friends who were staying stationary along the course who could provide us with visual confirmation of his progress, allowed for us to stay a few steps ahead.

After catching up with him by the St Mary's T stop, I had to call it quits and let the group know I would catch up for dinner. I needed food, beverage, and a bathroom. Honestly, I was exhausted. Cramming on crowded trains and maneuvering along sidewalks isn't as easy as it sounds. And by seven I was ready to call it a day and climb into bed! Granted it is now almost 11 pm and I am still up and typing, but once I hit "publish post" this little blogger will be heading to dreamtown. I hope to sleep enough tonight to make it through the work day tomorrow.

I know the runners will have it worse when they wake up - with the lack of toenails and inability to walk up stairs - which only reinforces my belief that I will never be a marathon runner. My body just cannot handle that kind of stress. My hat, or I should say sunglasses, is off to you fine people. May your body recover quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment