Friday, April 2, 2010

Snippy comments make for sad customers


Customer service makes or breaks an experience. When I bought shoes from Nordstrom's I thought the department store was amazing. They were attentive and helpful. The service woman told me that if I ever had a problem with the shoes to come back and anyone would be more than happy to help me either return them or exchange them for a new pair. I had never heard of something like this as she let me know that wearing them around the city was not a problem at all for them if I felt dissatisfied.

The first night I wore out the shoes, I noticed that there was a small tear in the leather. Nothing too terrible, but it bothered me. Those shoes cost bank. Then I remembered what I was told and so I figured when I drove home for Easter I would stop by the new Nordstrom's and try out this spectacular service.

Ok, so the experience not so spectacular. The first shoe saleswoman, super nice. Complemented me on the shoes and went to find the manager. The manager took one quick look at the shoes and told me that the tear was my fault and that it would not have happened if I didn't trip or something. If she had said it only once, or maybe after, "sure let me help you" than maybe I would have felt more comfortable. But I honestly think she drove it home by telling me at least 4 times that it was my fault my shoes were torn. Then after making me feel terrible that I even brought them in to begin with, she scanned the barcode, let the receipt run, tore it off, and then slapped it to the counter announcing that they are completely sold out at all stores. It was a mortifying experience.

I had thought about shopping around for another pair of shoes since I was returning the ones I bought from piperlime (they were sadly defective) but this saleswoman made me feel beyond uncomfortable. I just needed to leave, immediately.

Basically, I think it will be a while before I attempt another trip to Nordstrom's. I don't like feeling like an inconvenience when I go shopping. Afterall, I am about to give the place my hard earned money, please be nice to me. Case in point, earlier that day I had walked into the GAP because I saw a huge sale sign, but then remembered that last time I asked if a pair of pants came in tall, the saleswoman looked at me with a "hell no" expression and told me I could buy them online (which meant I would be penalized with shipping costs because tall sizes can't be bothered to be kept in stock at that store...). With this in mind, I don't want to find something I love only to find out that it doesn't come in my size, so I just walked right out.

Ugh. I will get over this, eventually. In the mean time I will keep looking online for new shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should give Nordstrom a second chance, sounds like that lady is just a bitch. I used to work there and we were basically instructed to return anything no matter what. Also, I bought a pair of rain boots from there, wore them all fall until their got a tear in them which caused water to seep in. I took them back and they gave me a full refund, without asking questions or blaming me. That lady just sucks or was having a bad day or something.

    ReplyDelete