Monday, June 15, 2009

I can understand why Ashlee Simpson did it.

Not get a nose job - well I do understand why SHE would get one (just kidding...?). But I am talking about lip syncing. Singing with a live band is HARD. You may be asking yourself, what kind of experience do I have with singing with a live band? I mean, for lack of a better description, I am tone-deaf. Well, I'll tell you how -that would be LIVE BAND KARAOKE.

Wednesday a bunch of us went out to celebrate an upcoming wedding by hanging out at various bars in the Faneuil Hall area. Hennessey's was our second stop and where we all experienced Live Band Karaoke for the first time.

It seems like it should be easy. They provide a piece of paper with the lyrics, so it isn't like you have to remember them all. Yeah... You don't realize how much you rely on the words changing colors or the bouncing ball for karaoke.

I chose "These Boots Were Made for Walking" by the lovely Nancy Sinatra. It was well within my range for my raspy sick voice. The band started playing, and I just stood there. I couldn't figure out when to come in. The song does not start with the chorus so I kind of waited it out for the part I knew. After that I was able to hold my own and keep the song going. But it was rather nerve wracking. Its hard to have good stage presence if you are constantly thinking about when its time to sing again.

The band definitely heckled me when I missed the first verse, but by the end they were calling out my name and cheering me along. My guess is it had to do with my sweet dance moves...or suspenders. Suspenders really do make smiles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment