Monday, June 29, 2009

Looking underage


Note: this post was supposed to go up Friday night but I ended up hanging out with a friend from high school. I am way to lazy to change any of it so please just go with it.

------

Today I was having lunch with my mom and sister. Out of the blue my sister exclaimed "I know why you're wearing dark eye make up [this is referring to my amazing eyeliner and mascara], she looks older with it on...like actually 25". This caused both my mom and me to laugh but I quickly stopped and realized that my sister may be spot on with this.

See the two of us always get questioned about our ages. When she was 19 she was told that she couldn't sit in the emergency exit row on the airplane because you need to be at least 15...True story.

Other examples would include any time during our trip to Florida last December where every waitress carded me when I attempted to order a drink while out with my parents and sister for dinner. You may think that they waitresses were just doing their jobs. Or that they they were confused because there are so many old people down there. Well you would be wrong. Most of the places we were at were bars/pubs filled with families.

Since this seemed to happen to me for too often when we were out as a family (see time on plane when my sister sat in the emergency row, I tried to get a drink with a free drink ticket and the stewardess said that I had to be 21, I replied I just turned 24) we started to try and test the waitresses' judgment. Basically we would ask them guess how old I was. Most thought 18, one realized that she should probably guess at least 21 because we gave her a strange look, but broke down and said she wouldn't put me past 20 and that was being generous. Again, we let her know I was 25. My sister didn't fare much better. Since most of these people were making me her age, we wanted to know where they thought she fell...apparently she is 14. One waitress did make my sister a year older than me, that was not my favorite guesser.

So why am I telling you all of this? My sister turned 21 earlier this month. I did not return home to celebrate with her so I chose to take the family out for dinner tonight. I ordered us a scorpion bowl. As soon as the words came out of my mouth the waitress immediately asked for some ID. Obviously she overlooked my parents, was about to leave the table when we stopped her and informed her that my sister would be drinking this too. She did a double take, asked for ID and after carefully thinking about my sister's birthday, told her that she really didn't look the age and somewhat jokingly said it was a fake ID.

Yep. People think my sister and I should be thankful that we have such young faces. No, it is kind of annoying. People seem adamant that when we are 40 we will appreciate that we look 32. Who knows whether or not that is true. The silver lining I am giving myself is that even though children are so not in any part involved in my immediate future, if I had to become a mom sometime soon, I'd like to think I could be considered a MILF because of this :P

No comments:

Post a Comment