Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mute.


My cold and I have been in quite a battle. Every time I think I may be winning, it comes down and whoops my ass. Saturday I had a ton of fun - which will be recapped shortly - and I was sure that I would be taught a lesson this morning when I woke up.

As I arose from bed, I didn't feel any soreness in my throat and I could breath easily out of my nose. (I didn't even use the Nyquil last night) I was feeling like maybe things were looking up. So I let out a sigh, and no sound came out. I then tried to speak. NOTHING. The last few days my voice has been a little husky. By the end of Saturday's festivities many people noted that I had definitely dropped a few octaves, but at least I was making words. Well, I guess I should take that back, giving the cabbie my address took every ounce of strength that I had left at 1:30 am. But I thought it was just from belting along with everyone at kareoke.

Yeah, no.

Honestly, I couldn't say anything for most of today. One of my roomates tried to say good morning to me and I tried to say something back, thinking I had just gotten out of the shower, maybe my vocal box would have warmed up. I opened my mouth and no words came out. She was a little shocked, as was I....

I really wanted a coffee and I had to take a deep breath and use every bit of vocal power I had to ask for a "medium iced coffee, milk and sugar". To be sure that the guy heard me and didn't attempt to make me repeat my order I also leaned as far as I could over the counter and got inside his personal space bubble.

I was hoping to get lunch with a friend, but was kind of glad she was hanging out with her bf as I realized I would be the worst dining companion ever - or maybe the best for someone that never shuts up...but that is not the kind of person this particular friend is, so it would have been weird. Instead, I spent the afternoon wandering around with my headphones and book. It was actually a really relaxing afternoon, it has just been painfully awkward when someone attempts to ask me something.

Just now the roommate I saw this morning heard me "talking" to our upstairs neighbor, and exclaimed "you can almost talk now!". I am almost back to where I ended Saturday night, which is pretty bad.

I ask that you keep your fingers crossed for me as I do have to answer phones at work, and funny enough, you need a voice to do that. Eeeeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment