Sunday, June 21, 2009

Myth busted!


Everyone always says how mean New Yorkers are, and by New Yorkers, they mean New York City folk as no one actually makes reference to the rest of the state's residents. Well, that is a bunch of bull. I spent an amazing long weekend down in the city and had nothing but sweet and polite interactions with strangers.

Example one: I got off the bus and immediately on the subway to meet up with my friends at a bar. I was sitting in the car and a man kept looking over at me who was sitting near by. After a few minutes he cleared his throat and said, "excuse me, I wanted to let you know you look lovely tonight. I didn't want you to think I was staring at you inappropriately, I am just going home from work and thought you looked beautiful". What an amazing complement! Especially since I just got off the bus.

Example two: Walking downtown on Friday, we saw the tail end of an old woman completely wiping out as she stepped off the curb to get onto a bus. Three different individuals helped her to her feet. As she went to hoist herself on the stairs, the youngest male happened to look over at her again and saw that she was about to fall off backwards and reached out to steady her back up.

Example three: Also while shopping, my friend and I were constantly complimented on our clothing and general appearance. Never happens to me when shopping around here. People especially loved the bright blue sunglasses :)

Example four: When I showed up at the bar, the people in front of me were trying to get in without paying cover. They were insisting that there was a "list" that they were on because they were friends with one of the bands. The bouncer said that there was no such thing and that they needed to pay $10. Obviously, they did. I went to show him my ID and give him money when I heard my friend's band on stage say their name. So I said "YES, I made it! That is my band. I was hoping to make it in time as I just got off the bus from Boston". He then told me that I actually just missed them and that they had just finished. He then said that he would let me in for free because of my long travels! We chatted for a bit. He used to date a girl from Boston while living in NYC, so he knew it was a pain trying to time trips.

But yeah, those are my first four examples. The weekend was awesome. I had so many random interactions with complete strangers. The city is definitely way friendlier than people give it credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment