Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kickball In the News


I follow WAKA (world adult kickball association) on twitter and today it posted an article from the USA weekend addition which mentioned the league. The article focused in on kickball, air guitar and rock paper scissors as activities that are sweeping the nation. I will say I was a little offended by the opening line:

Lack a pro athlete's skills? Don't worry. These alternatives are fun and offer new chances at glory


Lacking in athletic skills? I don't think so. Well, maybe yes. My glory days as a town league basketball, intramural volleyball, and that one year stint as a rower are kind of behind me now. But I don't feel I am a complete waste. Maybe I shouldn't disclose to you that my captain recently questioned my kickball skills.

"I don't know if you are actually good at kickball, or if you are really more of a visual distraction"

I have to agree, I am not quite sure myself. My costumes do draw a lot of attention. Hot pink spandex will do that... But I am pretty confident that my kicking skills are legit and I run like a crazy person, but at least I run my heart out to the bases.

Kickball is probably the best activity that I think I could have joined out here, I'm pretty psyched to have landed on such a great team :) It's awesome WAKA made the papers. Maybe fewer people will look at me like I'm crazy when I say that I am a 25 year old kickball champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment