Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ACK What time is it??????


I got to work and realized that I left my cell phone at home. Immediately I had a sense of dread come over me. Not because I was somehow less connected to the world - let's be honest I don't normally get calls during the work day - no, it was because my cell phone is my replacement watch. I knew that while I was at work I usually checked the time on the computer but was concerned about wanting to know what time it was once I stepped away from my desk. There were a few errands that I hope to complete between now and Thursday (going on a trip to visit an amazing person!!!!).

At first, I thought I could manage with just my iPod. Then, I immediately remembered that I had left it in the office last night and it was on its last leg. This left me with one option: to postpone my ventures until tomorrow. The idea of walking around Boston without the ability to communicate or know the time was just too much. The plan simply became, go home after work and run errands tomorrow. I am dead serious. I just couldn't do it.

My dependency on knowing what time it is can best be illustrated by comparing the feeling I get when I have no idea what time it is to that guy who is in the experiment in the movie IQ. You remember that movie it had Meg Ryan and that guy from Shawshank Redemption. Her fiance is running experiments where he is keeping a guy in a room with no watch or clock and I am pretty sure he didn't have a window either. The guy was screaming and going nuts, completely understandable. Andy Dufresne ends up sneaking the guy his watch which he wears on his ankle. But yeah, the screaming thing is what I feel like when I can't get the time.

When I first got into the apartment I couldn't locate my phone either. Fortunately my alarm happened to be going off and I was able to find it in a pile of pink tutu and accessories from my kickball outfit last night - I was Suzy Homemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment