Monday, May 18, 2009

Adult Responsibilities - Jury Duty


About two months ago I was mailed my Jury Summonings paperwork to appear May 18th. As you are probably aware, today is the 18th and so I am sitting in Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn in the Jury Selection room. It is a nice room; big, comfortable seats, windows, soothing green wall coloring, and until recently filled with about 149 other people.

Massachusetts has a "one day, one trial" policy when you get summoned. This means that if I do not get impanelled for a trial today, I get to go home. Either one day of sitting around or one full trial. They said that there were definately two cases requiring juries and a possible third. The man in charge has taken jurors 1 through 150 at this point to get selected (some people did not show up so only 130 people have left the room). I am juror number 162. There is a good chance I will be told I can leave without ever going beyond this point in the process. I hope they make a decision by lunch.

I will admit, I will be a little bummed if I came up here and didn't even get to see the inside of a courtroom. But, what can I do? I can't demand a tour.

Helpful side note: If you ever get summoned, please remember to bring a book or laptop or something. There is a woman who was above this concept and has been talking to who ever will listen all morning. It is like being in the library and ONE person is talking, so distracting for the others who just want to be left alone to read/work.

No comments:

Post a Comment